Monday, November 11, 2013

Did Anyone Else Disappear?

So, for those of you who didn't notice, I was missing for 10 days.  I haven't blogged since November began, due to my insane desire to write a novel in 30 days. 

I had something to prove to myself.  The first time I tried NaNo was last November.  I wrote a book in 11 days.  I figured it didn't count since I was unemployed.  So, I tried again in July.  I was working, so it took me a bit longer - almost 4 weeks.  But, I still figured it didn't count since my son wasn't around to distract/need me.  So, I decided to try again this month.

I finished yesterday.  I wrote a full-length novel within 10 days.  That includes a job, a son, an inspection from my landlord, making a birthday present, and all of the other various things which are included in a normal life (making dinner, washing dishes, sleeping, etc.)  If you want to get technical, I actually wrote the book in 8 days (the first day, I only wrote about 500 words, which I could have easily worked in yesterday and one entire day was dedicated to celebrating my sister's birthday, so no writing happened that day. 

I realized that if I wanted to (and didn't have a job and/or any other distractions) I could easily write a book in under a week.  That's an interesting thing to know about yourself.  Obviously, it's pure crap at this point, but it's a starting point.  I think I'm going to continue working on it (maybe not at the break-neck pace I did for the writing of it) and see if I can edit it to make it something I wouldn't mind others reading before the end of NaNoWriMo.  Now that would be an accomplishment. 

Yup - I have a new goal for the month - to have a decent book by November 30th.

Because of my push to get it done as quickly as possible (I did so in order for my normal life to resume) other parts of my life were put on hold.  I haven't blogged since October 31st, I didn't exercise in that time, and I didn't do any baking (gasp!)  I wonder how many other WriMos are as crazy as me.  I wonder - did the number of blogs decrease when NaNoWriMo began?

No comments:

Post a Comment